The Coastal Georgia Foundation is a tax-exempt public foundation created by, and for, the people of Camden, Glynn, and McIntosh counties. Community foundations enable people with philanthropic interests to easily and effectively support those interests.
How does it work?
Community foundations help individuals, families, and businesses establish charitable funds to which they may contribute a variety of assets (cash, appreciated stock, property, art, etc.). Those assets are managed, invested, and governed by a conservative investment policy, adopted, and ratified by the Foundation's Board of Directors. Grants are then distributed from these funds to non-profit agencies meeting the charitable goals of the donor. Donors and their families are actively involved in the selection of the non-profit agencies, but may also lean on the Foundation's expert staff to help make these decisions.
Why work with a community foundation?
Community foundations have in-depth knowledge of their communities and remain alert to emergent needs in order to respond quickly and effectively. The Coastal Georgia Foundation convenes groups including donors, non-profit leaders and elected officials to work together on community problem-solving. By fostering greater giving and local volunteerism, community foundations have a long tradition of helping bring about thoughtful, effective change having been in existence since 1914.
Advantages of giving with a community foundation
- You can name your fund and designate its focus in perpetuity.
- You receive immediate tax benefits, even if waiting to recommend grants from your fund.
- You receive support and information to make your giving both strategic and impactful.
- Your fund benefits from professional financial stewardship.
- You may engage family members in philanthropy by naming successor advisor(s).